Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Neil Perry's (Dead Easy) Whiting Meuniere

Fish has always been a tough sell for the Toddler. She turned her nose up at my carefully constructed Leek and Salmon Pie and appeared to be revolted by my Polenta Whiting Fish Fingers. So I decided to get really, really simple and it worked. I don't have any pictures of the end product because I didn't think she would like it but if you imagine a Toddler waving a whiting fillet in each hand then you get the picture.

I know that whiting seems expensive when you see it in the shop for $40+ a kilo but you don't seem to need much - I bought $15 worth (about 300 grams) and it provided 4 adult serves and 2 toddler serves.

This recipe is adapted from Neil Perry's 'The Food that I Love' and it is particularly good for adults and Toddlers. I love not having to use eggs and crumbs to coat the fish because it seems much more messy and involved than the below process.

8 whiting fillets
Ghee (you could use olive oil but ghee is nicer and easily available from the supermarket - see previous post for more information)
About 1/2 cup milk poured into a bowl
About 1/2 cup cornflour poured onto a large plate
Lemon, butter (optional)

Dip each whiting fillet into the milk and then coat in the cornflour. Melt enough ghee in a frying pan to cover the bottom and then fry the fish on each side until slightly brown and the cornflour and milk has formed a nice crust.

At the end you can melt some butter in the pan and drizzle it over the fish along with some lemon juice but we opted just to have the lemon juice.

Notes:
* Check for whiting bones before cooking each piece and then check again with each piece you give the Toddler.
* Lovely with roasted sweet potato chips on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment