Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Perfect Birthday Weekend

I woke to the sound of a round of applause from the Toddler at 4am in the morning and I guess if you have to wake up at that time then it is not a bad way to do it.

This was followed up by a lovely sleep in as my husband occupied the Toddler (as he does every morning). After that I was presented with my first ever gluten-free chocolate croissant. Not quite the same as the authentic gluten version but wonderful all the same. Lunch was a lovely gluten-free baguette and this was even better than the croissant - crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. My husband sourced these lovely treats made by Schar (which is Europe's No 1 Gluten Free range according to the packaging) from a Flannerys grocery store.

The rest of the weekend was filled with french cheese from Normandy, red wine from Italy and some pleasurable pottering in the kitchen to make the Toddler spelt and oatmeal biscuits (pictured). I'm finding that she needs something at morning and afternoon tea and fruit is not always the answer.

Last of all I got to make proper fish stock for the first time. Our fish store (Avanti's Fresh Seafood Market) gave me some spanking fresh heads for free when I was purchasing some whiting. This place has lovely fish and the widest variety I have seen in Brisbane - I even saw some salted cod that is used in the Basque region of Spain. The fish stock is made the same way as the recipe for chicken stock except you sweat the onion in a little butter to begin with and then add all of the other ingredients and cook for only one hour. Today we are going to have the stock as the basis for a Counterfeit Congee with whiting.
Avanti's Seafood Market & Fish cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment